Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Life and Lies!

You will have to forgive me. And forget me.

She looked as if she had seen a ghost.

But I love you.
So what? It wouldn't work.
It will. Just give it a chance. It will. It will.
No, it wouldn't.
But I love you. I love you. I love you.

Her voice reverberated hollow in her ears. She might as well have been talking to the empty walls. For suddenly, for some unfathomable reason he was cruelty personified. Sometimes love isn't good enough. Sometimes truth isn't good enough. Sometimes, nothing is good enough. She helplessly saw him go away.

Years later.......

Hey, who'd have thought we'd meet again this way.

She tried to feign cheerfulness and normalcy. She tried to act unperturbed. She wished inwardly her heart would flutter a little less.

Yeah, it is. Errr..... you think we could.....

She almost cut him midway.

Hey, great news at my end. I found someone after we split. He loves me like crazy. And I am so happy to have him.

Silence.
You never really let me complete. You think we could start from where we left again?

He spoke as if he had never heard her.

Uh, no. I love him. I love him. I love him.

You can't. You always loved me. Me. Me. For all those wasted years, how could you be so stupid? Why did you let me go away??

Why did you have to go away?

I don't know. But I want to be back.

Why? I love him. I love him. I love him.

You love me.
And this both of us know.

But I still love him, she faintly whispered one last time.

You shall love no one. You love me.

He screamed. Suddenly he was conviction personified.

She smiled a sad smile. There was a time she screamed and shouted the truth and nothing happened. And after all these years, just a lie, a lie whispered softly had worked wonders.

You see, sometimes love isn't good enough. Lies are.

No comments: